Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] stratus46@yahoo.com is offline

Default goodbye to analog TV modulators

On Feb 6, 2:19*am, "les" wrote:
I wanted to make it a straight tuning sequence for the family, dumping
analog
forever. Using the present analog modulator has been problematic with
adjacent
band bleedover, even intermitent skip propagation from nearby cities and
perhaps
poor design of the modulator itself (I tried 3 different models). All have
performed
marginally under the circumstances. I think given the nature of digital,
interference
at least would be eliminated. We live in the Chicago area with 25 off air
channels
available, and channels 3-4 are as usual tough to negotiate via a cheap
modulator
feeding 150 feet cumulative RG-6 and active quad splitter.Several
permutations of booster
vs. splitter combinations have yeilded no significant improvement. I
contemplated a
deep notch filter, but never got into it.
That's why I thought a robust ATSC modulator could fix the issues.

Les * * KA9GLW

How will you get channel 3 / 4 interference after all those pesky
analog transmitters are turned off ? Here we have a PC equipped with
an ATI HDTV Wonder tuner and DVD drive dedicated to the 50" DLP set. 2
more computers also have DTV tuners and sometimes all 3 are in record.
The shows end up as .MPG files on the various machines. It takes about
5 minutes to edit out the commercials from the MPEG files and reduces
the size to 2/3 of the original. 10/100 network link is just fine for
playing HD files PC to PC (though gigabit lan is quicker for moving 5
gig files) and the computers are nothing special. The dedicated
machine gets used TiVo like all the time. Start recording at 10 and
then do something else for 20 minutes. Start watching and skip all the
commercials - I'm not buying that stuff anyway. 1 terabyte drives are
$100 and hold 200 'hours' (42 minutes) of HD video. Cat 6 and a
router glues it all together. AND, you can access missed shows on FOX/
CBS/NBC/ABC and get Hulu and Joost via the .net. If you're not doing
TV on PCs it seems odd at first but it works well and costs little.