Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
bumhead bumhead is offline

Default My first pens (1/1) - xcutoak [50%].JPG (0/1)

Yes, cut accross the grain. Wood will be weaker so don't be too
aggressive when turning, but makes some beautiful patterns. 45
degrees or other angles are also interesting,
Attached is a cross cut oak pen and pencil set I made with a
fish clip for a friend of mine.
On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 16:24:57 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 20:55:59 -0600, bumhead
wrote:

Looks good. I've been making pens for a few months now. Sure is a
fun hobby. Domestic woods can make some beautiful stuff also. Cross
cut Oak is beatiful. I made a set using Australian Lacewood that came
out nice.
Make great gifts. I took 8 pen and pencil sets home for stocking
stuffer this past Christmas. Every one loved them.

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 18:36:33 -0800, "jloomis"
wrote:

Nice work. they will show off quite well.
jloomis

When you say "crosscut" I assume you mean cut diagonally to
accentuate the grain ? I have access to plenty (much of it highly
figured) white oak. Perhaps I should experiment ...? Please let me
know just what you meant.

I remembered I had a 1 x 6 x 6' piece of padauk that I had purchased
20 some years ago for a project that I never ended up doing. Took
awhile to find it but I cut a piece off the and will give that a try
soon. =0)

Lenny