Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default long-link test for your news reader

David Nebenzahl wrote:
A meta-post: question came up recently here about how newsreaders (the
software you're using to read this post) handle long URLs, like this
one:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...1 3QRJVC6DLgl

I'm using Thunderbird which preserves long URLs without splitting
them, unlike what I call "brain-damaged" news clients like Outlook
Express, which splits and otherwise mangles them. This makes them
useless for clicking on, requiring the reader to copy and paste the
pieces back together; pain in the ass.

But this is on the sending end. The question is whether such links get
split up when they're read.

If your newsreader splits this URL, could you post here and say what
your newsreader is?

And what about Google Groups readers? I assume that GG preserves such
links, but don't know for sure.

Not split; works fine here.
OE6.

It's not OE that "splits" the links; it's a case of improperly set
defaults. I use a combo of FF and TB along with IE7/OE6 but each have
their plusses & minusses. Actually I've quit using TB & should
uninstall it; I just tried it because I had downloaded FF again to
fiddle with.

HTH

Twayne