Posted to alt.home.repair

Default long-link test for your news reader

On 2/6/2009 11:07 AM spake thus:

On Feb 6, 1:45 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 2/6/2009 6:55 AM spake thus:

On Feb 6, 9:49 am, "HeyBub" wrote:

George wrote:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 2/5/2009 4:59 PM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

I think your news reading program needs help. It's been adding
spaces.

Where?

And speaking of needing help, could you *please* fix your setup so
that your posts come out properly? Your mail/news client (Microsoft
Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512) is really screwing them up; it puts
*everything* in the post below your reply into the sig, which means
that only your reply (above) gets quoted when you reply to one of
your postings.
Yes, same thing here. Aside from being the only top poster (I think)
who posts to this group which really breaks threads and readability
the posts are formatted as you describe.

You are ALSO posting via Thunderbird.

Are we seeing a trend here?

How about firing up OE on your machine to see if the same phenomenon
presents itself.- Hide quoted text -

Google Groups here. The long link is OK and I don't see any problem
with Stormin's post. Maybe time for someone to rethink which client
is brain damaged.

It's OE. Outlook plays by Microsoft's made-up "rules" for formatting
emails and Usenet posts, which are different from the long-standing and
agreed-upon ones used by *every other mail/news client*, which is why
Stormin's malformatted posts look OK when viewed by the same software
which generated them.

I thought I just saw a couple replies from people using OE that said
the link was fine.

Yes, the link came out fine (not truncated or chopped) in OE 6. That's
not the issue; what was being discussed here was how Stormin' Mormon's
posts contained the quoted text below his sig, which made them disappear
when replied to with any standards-compliant client (not OE).

Do try to keep up.

--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it
upgrades. As long as there is hardware and software out there that

- lifted from sci.electronics.repair