Posted to alt.home.repair
nospamplse[_2_] nospamplse[_2_] is offline

Default Humidifying with Geothermal

I had a steam generator installed on a new heat pump/electric zone and
the moisture ruined the coils, enclosure,etc. Currently have an April
Aire (and of course a new air handler) which drains excess water to a
summer condensate tank with a float switch operated pump which pumps the
drain water up about eight feet through a loop and a check valve into a
grey water house drain system. I have not found any of them to be great
in this house which is rather large.

borealbushman wrote:
It's 13F outside and our new geothermal system is working very well
(and inexpensively); however, the air in our house is drier than we'd
like.

The installer suggests that a steam-generating humidifier is the only
way to go because of the geothermal system's lower operating
temperature. My research indicates that steam-generating humidifiers
use a lot of power (similar to keeping a kettle plugged in for hours
on end), waste a considerable amount of water down the drain, and
suffer from orifice-clogging when used with well water. I don't want
to deal with any of these (especially with water down the drain - we
don't have a drain in the basement floor).

So ... has anyone out there had success/failure with other kinds of
whole-house humidifiers connected to geothermal units?

(Please, I don't want to hear from folks who "...know someone who..."
or "...heard somewhere..." or do not have a geothermal system
themselves)