Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] bsa441@gmail.com is offline

Default Looking for chainsaw advice

On Feb 6, 4:33*am, "StephenM" wrote:
I would like to upgrade the low-end 14" saw that I purchased a decade ago to
help clear the mess after an ice storm. What I would like is something with
a little more balls, a little more bar and something which less finicky to
start, adjust and maintain. Also, keeping the weight down is a plus.

It will be used for prepping bowl blanks for my Jet 1442 (14-inch swing)
minor yard cleanup and cutting all of about 2 cords of wood a year.
Realistically, it will see about a dozen hours of use annually, if that.

Locally I have both a Stihl dealer and a Husqvarna dealer, each of which
have good service departments, so that seems like a good place to start.

I'm * leaning to the Stihl 325. *The CB model has a tool-free chain
adjustment and a E-Z start (spring-wound starting assist) but I think that's
probably a poor tradeoff as I would rather pull the cord than carry an extra
.7 lbs.

Is there any other features or models that I should be looking at
specifically be looking for?

Thnaks,

Steve

When I was buying, all the recommendations were Stihl or Husqvarna, 6
of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. I bought a Stihl because it came with
a case, and the Huskie dealer was out of cases and wouldn't have one
for a few weeks. I have an 025C, 18" bar, and the only complaint I
have is that the kill switch sometimes vibrates out and the saw won't
shut off without some finagling with the choke and stuff. The 025C
only takes up to an 18" bar, and in retrospect I should have bought
the 029 (MS 290 now, I believe), for a bit more power and length, but
I opted for the smaller saw because I'm not as strong as I used to be.