Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Does Hut Crystal Finish go bad?

In article , "Leon" wrote:

"Casper" wrote in message
.. .
As the subject asks ... does Hut Crystal Coat go bad?
I purchased a bottle and didn't notice it had a date on the back,
which is outdated. How long does/can this stuff last?
`Casper

Yes It will go bad.

It is a shellac based product and shellac starts degrading the moment you
expose it to air. The alcohol in it will absorb moisture from the air and
eventually becomes unusable from the stand point that it may never cure.

Remember, though, that the design of the container minimizes air exposure. As
I noted in my response to Casper, I've achieved successful results with
bottles that were as far as two years past their expiration date -- so while
I'm sure that you're right that it will eventually go bad, in my experience
that may take a while.

The best advice I can offer is to test it on a piece of scrap -- regardless of
the date, if it works, then it's still usable; if it doesn't, then it's gone
bad.