Posted to alt.home.repair
Phil Again Phil Again is offline

Default Mild rant: 3-way lamp sockets are junk

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 09:37:58 -0600, dpb wrote:

Why web? For something that small and presumably you're not needing
case lots, just go to your local electrical supply if not happy w/ the
stock at the borg's.

This is why I was searching for a Web sto

One major point in Web e-commerce is small business can find a market
amongst a much larger Internet population than any single brick and
mortar business which is limited to local customers. For example: there
are web stores that just sell black peppercorns and other spices from
India. Would such a store make enough profit to stay in business in your
neighborhood? I know they wouldn't near where I live. Amazon.com carries
way more different books than any of my local book stores, or my local
library for that matter.

Maybe 2 years ago, in search for an additional electrical circuit
breaker, one electrical supply house in my local area (suburban Detroit)
quite up front and in-your-face told me they focus on the professional
electricians only due to inventory reduction and staff adjustments (read:
go away.) The supply house where I did purchase the circuit breaker from
is now out of business while the other supply house who didn't want to
sell to me, is still open.

Trust me, the days of Mom & Pop small specialty stores are almost gone
forever. Bland one-size-fits-all BORGS and other mega stores have taken
over. A few places Mom & Pop specialty stores still exist, but many have
moved to the Internet.

Yes, shipping and handling drive the cost up, but I wasn't looking for
cheap, I was looking for quality and long life.