Posted to sci.electronics.repair
PeterD PeterD is offline

Default UPS battery replacement schedule

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 20:39:53 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per 1PW:
In a previous life, I oversaw many systems with UPS protection.

Here's a question that's been in the back of my mind since I
found out that my APC unit uses a proprietary battery: How about
a UPS that uses a plain old non/vented automobile battery?

- Definitely non-proprietary.

- Probably has a lot more capacity than most consumer-level UPS's

- Quickly replaceable

- Probably cheaper, since it's a commodity

??

You would want a deep cycle battey... Which will not be cheap(er) but
whatever floats your boat so to speak!

I'd use something like an Optima (there are many similar brands). A
regular non-deep cycle battery *will* fail very quickly as they don't
like being fully discharged.

Check WalMart (if you're in the US) for deep-cycle batteries.
(Sometimes these are referred to marine batteries, but check
carefully!)