Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default A little snow had began to fall....

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 22:32:36 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

http://www.howhill.com/weather/images/winter/090203
Underexposed.

There's always one. B-)

Center weighted auto on the camera. At least I set it to "shade", the auto
white balance gets *very* confused with sunlit snow and makes everything
very blue.

Hmm, I think it works well for all of them except the first one, though
(which is making my eyes wig out for some reason

I find grey snow rather moon-like.

Note also that there is quite a texture on the snow surface and the sun
angle is quite low so there is a lot of shadow on the surfaces. The images
are a pretty good representation of reality. Anyway looked at 'em again
and I agree they were a bit down. Stretched them out a bit now. Also some
more at:

http://www.howhill.com/weather/images/winter/090305

No appreicable thaw of Monday/Tuesdays snow. -8.0C min last night, -7.3C
the night before. Yesterdays max 1.2C and above freezing for less than
2hrs. Currently -1.9C no wind clear bright and sunny again, really does
look beautiful. Another dusting over night, about 5mm of very fine dry
powder.

That link didn't work... :-(

Trouble is, (as you know) *any* overexposure kills the picture and you
can't do much about it. Slight-to-moderate underexposure usually allows
a bit of manipulation. Learned all about that from white mushrooms...

--
Rod

onset.