Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

Default Meta: long-link test for your news reader

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 13:50:04 -0800, David Nebenzahl wrote:

A meta-post: question came up recently here about how newsreaders (the
software you're using to read this post) handle long URLs, like this one:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...1 3QRJVC6DLgl

I'm using Thunderbird which preserves long URLs without splitting them,
unlike what I call "brain-damaged" news clients like Outlook Express,
which splits and otherwise mangles them. This makes them useless for
clicking on, requiring the reader to copy and paste the pieces back
together; pain in the ass.

But this is on the sending end. The question is whether such links get
split up when they're read.

If your newsreader splits this URL, could you post here and say what
your newsreader is?

And what about Google Groups readers? I assume that GG preserves such
links, but don't know for sure.

Pan, slrn, knode, No problems with links unless you leave off the http://
part "WWW.sample.com" is copy and paste to browser.