Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default long-link test for your news reader

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 2/5/2009 4:59 PM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

I think your news reading program needs help. It's been
adding spaces.

Where?

And speaking of needing help, could you *please* fix your setup so
that your posts come out properly? Your mail/news client (Microsoft
Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512) is really screwing them up; it puts
*everything* in the post below your reply into the sig, which means
that only your reply (above) gets quoted when you reply to one of
your postings.

Huh? There are extraneous spaces, but replies below the sig, I can't
confirm.

His post - in its entirety - showed up on my machine as:

*** begin copy ***

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
A meta-post: qu estion came up recently here about how ne
wsreaders (the
softwar e you're usi ng to read this po st) h andle l ong
URL s, like this one:

http://sol utions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_
W/CorrosionProtection/Home
/Products/Catalog/SteelPipeCoatings/? C_7_RJH9U5230GE
3E02LECFTDQSPK6_nid =PQS9CR 5Z5Fbe13QRJVC6DLgl

I'm using Thunderbird which preserves long URLs without
splitting them,
unlike what I call "brain-damaged" news clients like Outlook
Express,
which splits and otherwise mangles them. This makes them
useless for
clicking on, requiring the reader to copy and paste the
pieces back
together; pain in the ass.

But this is on the sending end. The question is whether such
links get
split up when they're read.

If your newsreader splits this URL, could you post here and
say what
your newsreader is?

And what about Google Groups readers? I assume that GG
preserves such
links, but don't know for sure.

--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I
like it

- lifted from sci.electronics.repair

*** end copy ***