Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Meta: long-link test for your news reader

On 2/5/2009 3:14 PM Puckdropper spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote in
s.com:

A meta-post: question came up recently here about how newsreaders (the
software you're using to read this post) handle long URLs, like this
one:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...ection/Home/Pr
oducts/Catalog/SteelPipeCoatings/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECFTDQSPK6_nid=P
QS9CR5Z5Fbe13QRJVC6DLgl

I'm using Thunderbird which preserves long URLs without splitting
them, unlike what I call "brain-damaged" news clients like Outlook
Express, which splits and otherwise mangles them. This makes them
useless for clicking on, requiring the reader to copy and paste the
pieces back together; pain in the ass.

But this is on the sending end. The question is whether such links get
split up when they're read.

If your newsreader splits this URL, could you post here and say what
your newsreader is?

And what about Google Groups readers? I assume that GG preserves such
links, but don't know for sure.

Works fine with Xnews, but remember there's several servers between you
and I that might mangle things.

Since when does a *server* alter the text in a NNTP post? If there's one
that does, then it's severely non-compliant; servers ain't supposed to
do that.

They may do other screwy things, but they don't alter the substantial
content of a message (body and headers). The one exception is Google
Groups, but as we all know, that's not a proper news server anyhow.

--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it
upgrades. As long as there is hardware and software out there that

- lifted from sci.electronics.repair