Posted to alt.home.repair
TKM TKM is offline

Default Mild rant: 3-way lamp sockets are junk

"Phil Again" wrote in message
m...
Recently replaced the light bulb socket on a lamp and the socket has
started to go bad only after 6 months. Any one know of a Web source of
high quality lamp parts?

I was suckered in again by Leviton electric products. Leviton brand is
just cheap, cheap, cheap! Useless junk that don't last. Only thing
worse (very cheaply made and don't last) than Leviton's lamp products is
Leviton's eclectic wall duplex outlets, you know the 49 cent junk.

As you know, inside the socket there is the center contact, a spring leaf
second contact, and the outer shell for the neutral (white wire)
electrical connection. What normally happens is the 2nd connector looses
its spring over time and makes a weak connection with the 3-way light
bulb; corrosion results. (but everyone knows this already.)

But Leviton's products start to fail almost before I get my tools back in
the tool box in the basement. Everywhere I go, BORG, Hardware, Lamp
store, they all *only* carry the same cheaply made Leviton. I seem to
remember a 20 years ago, another brand of 3-way lamp sockets that were a
bit more expensive but lasted a lot longer since the maker used better
metal (spring leaf had more "spring" life.)

Again, anyone know of a Web source for a good quality lamp parts so a 3-
way lamp socket will last more than a couple of years? I found a few
hits from Google, but as I don't know them as vendors, I would like a
recommendation as to vendor and product maker.

Thanks to all who reply.

Phil

Check out Grand Brass Lamp Parts ( www.grandbrass.com ). For a start,
instead of a snap-together lamp socket, they use a threaded design -- keeps
the socket from coming apart. Cost is about $5.00 They sell on line.

Part of the 3-way connection problem is with the lamp, of course. Check the
lamp when you install it for smoothness of the 3rd. (rim) contact. If
there's a solder blob or rough weld, smooth it down so the metal tab in the
socket has more contact area.

Note: I've not had personal experience with the Grand Brass products, but I
do know that they are well respected in the high-end segment of the
residential lighting industry.

TKM