Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default KDS LCD monitor, Sampo Inverter..

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 22:30:57 -0500, Jamie
t put finger to
keyboard and composed:

It appears I have a failing inverter with a KDS 17" monitor.
this is a dual unit Sampo QPWBGL9151DG
http://www.lcdpart.com/Products/qpwbgl9151dg.html

I found a pin out on the net and states that pin's
1,2 = 12V, it has that, pin's 3 is a On/Off, it's at
~ 4.1 volts via a resistor from the processor board coming from
a 5 volt source. Pin 4 is a dimmer control, it's at 3.35 volts,
5 is ground/common..

With that, I assume the inverter board should be operating and
generating some voltage to the CCL lamps?

Is my assumption correct? If So, I guess I need to repair the
inverter ?

It could be that the ON signal is active low, in which case shorting
it to ground should turn on the inverter. To find out for certain, you
may find an application circuit in the datasheet for the main IC (top
centre in your photo). It may also be helpful to view the data for the
8-pin ICs below each of the coils.

The usual culprits in inverters appear to be electrolytic capacitors,
so I'd change those first. I'd also reflow the solder joints at the
transformers and coils.

- Franc Zabkar