Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French chris French is offline

Default Energy consumption reduction opinions sought.

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
Clot wrote:
Talking about the kettle, I am amazed how many folk still use a
kettle to make a cup of coffee or tea. Shove a shovel of coffee
granules ( I just tip the required amount direct from the jar being a
former lab. chemist and still able to assess volumes), zap the
microwave (90 seconds in our unit of 850W) and bingo. If tea, then
similar but teabag inserted after heating! Shorter time than in the
kettle, not heating the kettle with minimal energy heating the turntable.

Sure. why bother with a 100% efficient kettle when you can use a 30%
efficient microwave to do the same job.

And it's not quicker anyway, having nothing better to do I timed our
kettle (3Kw jug type with a plate type element).

With the it containing water up to the minimum mark - about 1 2/3 mugs
it brought it to boiling in 55 secs.

and whilst hot water might be ok for instant coffee, you need boiling
water for tea (though if you are just waving a tea bag in a cup maybe
it's a moot point) Proper coffee and tea in a tea pot here though
--
Chris French