Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Energy consumption reduction opinions sought.

Clot wrote:
Steve wrote:
On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 00:13:17 -0000, JDT2Q wrote:

Any suggestions ??

You don't say how much is actually electric of that bill, I would
expect gas to be the majority, but assuming you are only targeting
the electric I would start by grabbing a whole house energy meter
(owl, eco-eye, efergy etc). They are not 100% accurate, they don't
need to be, they are only a quick method of targeting whats taking
the power.

Also re-switch the computer and tv gear onto separate gang plugs where
needed so that one whole set can turn off with one switch and leave
on the sky+/recorder as needed. That alone saved me £10 per month.

Your likely to find that things like the bell use almost nothing, and
the bigger items like the fridge/freezer that are using the most, but
you may find others that catch you out. The meter helps find what
the usage is, but is also helpful in enforcing a habit of switching
things off, or using things less (like a kettle etc)

Talking about the kettle, I am amazed how many folk still use a kettle to
make a cup of coffee or tea. Shove a shovel of coffee granules ( I just tip
the required amount direct from the jar being a former lab. chemist and
still able to assess volumes), zap the microwave (90 seconds in our unit of
850W) and bingo. If tea, then similar but teabag inserted after heating!
Shorter time than in the kettle, not heating the kettle with minimal energy
heating the turntable.

Sure. why bother with a 100% efficient kettle when you can use a 30%
efficient microwave to do the same job.