Posted to uk.d-i-y
Broadback Broadback is offline

Default Jammed radiator bleed valve

dennis@home wrote:

"Broadback" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Mike Clarke wrote:
or use a soldering iron or hot poker pressed directly onto the bleed
screw to minimise the collateral damage.

Won't that make the bleed screw expand more than the surrounding
radiator
and make it even tighter?

Doesn't seem to matter - if it expands relative to the housing, being
on a
thread and pressing on a seat, might shift slightly.

Thanks for all your help, I tried them all and failed. so now have a
new radiator on order. None in stock as my wife wanted a round top
which are out of fashion. That such a little thing could be so
expensive and time consuming is unbelievable.

Can you drill it out and tap it?

It was a double radiator so no room to get in to drill out and tap. I
did think of putting another valve on the wall side of the radiator, but
then there would have been no room to get a key in to bleed the valve
once the radiator had been mounted, also I do not think that the wall of
the radiator is thick enough to have successfully have done that. There
was no bleed plug, the valve was mounted into a thickened section of the
radiator wall. sorry to offended anyone's sensibilities, I expect a more
skilled person would have succeeded where I failed.