Posted to alt.home.repair
Handplanes Handplanes is offline

Default Can soldering destroy pipe dope and teflon tapes?

On Feb 3, 3:34*pm, Michael Dobony wrote:
On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 12:45:24 -0700, nefletch wrote:
"Michael Dobony" wrote in message
On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 22:20:36 -0800, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 2/2/2009 7:53 PM MiamiCuse spake thus:

I have used a brass male adaptor with one threaded end and one socket
end.
I used pipe dope and teflon tape to thread into each port, then I plan
solder the other end to copper pipes.

One question, a little off your topic: why use both teflon tape and pipe
dope? Seems like teflon alone ought to be good enough.

They do NOT work together. *Use one or the other. *I personally prefer the
tape over the dope. *Unless you are using the non-drying teflon dope, the
dope tends to harden and crack and leak and is a nightmare to pull apart
later if needed.

I disagree. I have been using tape and
dope for over 20 years, and I never have
a leak. And yes, I am a plumber, so I do
use this on a weekly basis....

I would not be hiring you for any plumbing work.

Because someone says they use a different technique you imply their
work is sketchy? Seems a bit harsh viewed from the cheap seats - and
unwarranted.

There is no problem with using both tape and dope. Many plumbers use
both tape and dope on all fittings, some just use both on sketchy
joints, and others don't think it's necessary to use both. There's no
prohibition.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13506