Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Catching particulates in gas pipes

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"willshak" wrote in message
I was told it was a condensate trap. If you put it before the valve, how
would you inspect or empty whatever it collected? Mine are after the
valve so I just have to shut off the valve to that appliance to check the
trap and not the whole house valve,

How often do you inspect them? Ever find anything in them?

I've never opened one, even on our big gas boilers that are 5,500,000 Btu.

I don't think they were ever intended to catch much water or debris but are
just a cheap, simple, extra bit of "just-in-case" insurance. It probably
would be worth it if it caught one tiny piece that could clog an orfice or
prevent a valve from seating.

It is probably not revelant but I once had an underground gas feeder that
collected enough water to cut off my supply. The gas company disconnected
the line and blew the water out. So I know it is possible for water to make
its way into gas lines.

Don Young