Posted to alt.home.repair
hibb hibb is offline

Default Geothermal heat pumps ?

On Feb 4, 2:48 pm, wrote:
On Feb 4, 11:25 am, hibb wrote:

On Feb 4, 8:36 am, " wrote:

Anybody know about geothermal heat pumps? I looked at a house with
three of these things and I really dont know much about them.

I have one.

You need to find out if they are the "Air Transfer" heat pumps or if
they are actually geothermal heat pumps.

He said geothermal, which is NOT a traditonal air exchange heat pump.

That must be a hell of a big
house for three of them. I would want to see the electricity usage for
the last couple of winters before I would buy such a place.

Who the hell cares? Would it be so much better if it was heated with
oil, regardless of the size? I'd be happy to buy a house that was
fairly valued overall, with a geothermal system.

Mine is an Air Transfer heat pump and it does not do a good job
heating the house when the temps get down in 20's. It uses a hell of a
lot of electricity too.

No ****? Did you check the electric bills for the last 2 winters
before you bought a place with a heat pump and 20 deg winters?

For cooling the house in the summer it uses less electricity than when
I used two window air conditioners.

Before next winter, I will be looking at trying to get a better
primary heat source for my house. I will see if the Oil furnace that
is still in the basement can still be hooked up to the existing heat
pump unit. I might be able to use the oil furnace as a back-up for the
heat pump and have it kick on when the temps get down to 30 degrees or
so.

David

What's your problem dude? Can't you write a post without the bull****
insults?