Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Calif Bill Calif Bill is offline

Default Dread anyone?

"Randy" wrote in message
On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 22:02:57 +0000, Mark Rand
wrote:

On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 10:00:51 -0800, Jim Stewart
wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:

Lessee. No recoil means you can't be throwing anything out the front,
or that they've gotten a special dispensation from God from Newton's
third law.

You can throw something out the front without
recoil. You just have to throw something of
equal ma out the back at the same time. Of
course that would make the gunners position]
a little dangerous...

Yeah, but how do you cope with precession forces when you raise or lower
the
point of aim???

it would be a big gyroscope. I would guess the "disk" would always be
spinning waiting for projectiles to introduced. So, it would need to
be vehicle mounted for a power supply, it would be a bitch to aim
because of the gyroscope effect. There would be the heat of the motor
and some heat of the balls sliding against the outer walls as they are
flung around. Not near the heat of a powder fired gun, but still some
heat.

Mythbusters did some sort of gyro-gun awhile back, I only caught a
small part of the show.

They claim a muzzle velocity of above the speed of sound, so there
most definately would be noise.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

The balls would not be touching the outer walls. They would be dropped down
a feed tube in the center at the correct time for the spinning barrel to be
lined up with the shot when the ball had traveled from the center to the
exit. Since you would would have multiple barrels, the firing rate would be
much higher than the RPM.