Posted to uk.d-i-y
clot clot is offline

Default A little snow had began to fall....

Mark wrote:
Invisible Man wrote in message
Mark wrote:
Invisible Man wrote in message
I lived in east London in 1963. That was a proper winter. The only
vehicle to move in our street for 2 days was a milk float with
chains.

But the schools and collages didn't shut, I remember walking my
younger sister across Clapham common to her school and then getting
the tube up to Kensington and the RCA.
Only a couple of inches 40 years later and the whole of the south
east comes to a stand still.

-

Likewise I remember struggling through snow up to my knees (age 11)
that year to get to school. Seem to recall having to share the girls
loos cos ours were frozen.

Ive got some picture I took in 63, the most amassing thing was the
icicle hanging from all the roofs and guttering we had some over 4ft
long. We could not open the back door for over a week as the snow
which was halfway up it had party melted and then re frozen.
The ponds on Clapham Common froze solid and were turned into ice
skating rink.
That winter seemed to last an (ice) age
But the schools buses tube and life in general carried on as normal.
We now seem to be breeding a class of wimps that need H&S guidance
before getting out of bed in the morning.

I was 13 yo at the time living in N Wales. No transport was available but
walked to school through the drifts - 3 miles. Was fantastic fun. The short
cut across the Golf Course was wonderful. Being a player at the time, I knew
where the bunkers were. Launching yourself into those and being buried in
snow was great fun.

That year, the R Conwy froze and there were iceburgs on the beach that were
at least three foot thick.

An adult, up in the hills of the Conway valley built himself an igloo that
he allegedly lived in for the best part of three months.