Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine Frank Erskine is offline

Default A little snow had began to fall....

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 23:28:08 GMT, "Mark" wrote:

Ive got some picture I took in 63, the most amassing thing was the icicle
hanging from all the roofs and guttering we had some over 4ft long. We could
not open the back door for over a week as the snow which was halfway up it
had party melted and then re frozen.

Southern Jessies :-)

I remember one winter in the 50s when a bottle of milk on our doorstep
froze and lifted the foil lid at least 4 or 5 inches off the bottle.

The ponds on Clapham Common froze solid and were turned into ice skating
rink.
That winter seemed to last an (ice) age

When I was a kiddy in the (19)50s summer seemed to last almost
forever, with the odd torrential rainstorm (when I got lost at the
beach (93 y.o. Mum still reminds me of that!)), autumn dragged on a
bit as I (we) used to traipse through piles of leaves about a foot
deep and winters were proper cold things which didn't seem to last all
that long.

At least there was some sort of discrimination between the seasons -
nowadays we have boodly cold summers and (occasional) mild winters -
only yesterday I was walking the dog in a country park where it was
warm, sunny and dry (but the ground was still saturated with snowmelt
from the previous day).

Roll on this "global warming" we've all been promised...

We now seem to be breeding a class of wimps that need H&S guidance before
getting out of bed in the morning.

Speak for yourself!

I agree though...

--