Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark Mark is offline

Default A little snow had began to fall....

Invisible Man wrote in message
Mark wrote:
Invisible Man wrote in message
the nearest pub, went to the next nearest one.
Perhaps it is because my Mum and most of my relatives are Scots I
managed to cope with the 175 yards.
I lived in east London in 1963. That was a proper winter. The only
vehicle to move in our street for 2 days was a milk float with chains.

But the schools and collages didn't shut, I remember walking my younger
sister across Clapham common to her school and then getting the tube up

Kensington and the RCA.
Only a couple of inches 40 years later and the whole of the south east

comes
to a stand still.

-

Likewise I remember struggling through snow up to my knees (age 11) that
year to get to school. Seem to recall having to share the girls loos cos
ours were frozen.

Ive got some picture I took in 63, the most amassing thing was the icicle
hanging from all the roofs and guttering we had some over 4ft long. We could
not open the back door for over a week as the snow which was halfway up it
had party melted and then re frozen.
The ponds on Clapham Common froze solid and were turned into ice skating
rink.
That winter seemed to last an (ice) age
But the schools buses tube and life in general carried on as normal.
We now seem to be breeding a class of wimps that need H&S guidance before
getting out of bed in the morning.

-