Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Energy consumption reduction opinions sought.

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 20:34:47 +0000, Geoff Lane wrote:

Bake taters in the microwave: uses 25% of the enrgy (IIRC) ditto with
veg.

Don't taste as good though, can't beat crispy skins

Cook 'em through in the microwave and crisp the skins in the oven. You'll
still use less power as the oven will only be on for 15 mins rather than
the 45 to an hour for baking spuds normally.

What proportion of the cost if running an oven is used in getting it up
to heat? It always seem to me that it takes one hell of a lot to get it
up to, say, 170, but from then on it only cuts in intermittently.

So what is the difference between:

Cost of heating oven to temperature plus keeping it hot for 15 mins.

and

Cost of heating oven to temperature plus keeping it hot for 45 mins.

(I'd still guess that the pre-cook in microwave would be cheaper. But
possibly by quite a small margin. I certainly find our microwave itself
gets quite warm in cooking potatoes for a few minutes.)

--
Rod

onset.