Posted to alt.home.repair
Twice Retired Twice Retired is offline

Default Geothermal heat pumps ?

wrote in message
On Feb 4, 11:48 am, ransley wrote:
On Feb 4, 7:36 am, " wrote:

Anybody know about geothermal heat pumps? I looked at a house with
three of these things and I really dont know much about them.

I have no experiance with them. I would want to see utility and repair
bills, have the system reviewed by his installer maintenance guy and
someone else. I have heard of units poorly designed, maybe undersized
that never gave full comfort without expensive electric resistance
heat. I would want a home owner guarntee of some sort of performance
guide line. So I would know I would not need additional AC or
expensive heating, or a wood stove. His utility bills should tell all
but maybe they take 65f in winter and 82f in summer instead of running
it, the seller wont tell you all. Is there a well used wood stove
there.

Good grief! This from a guy that rants on the virtues of tankless
water heaters? What the hell is so controversial about the operating
costs of geothermal? Sure, they are more expensive to install, but
if he's getting a house with it, it's a non-issue. Unless you want
to argue that heat pumps are a poor choice with 50 deg water.

My Waterfurnace units (2 for approx 4000 sq. ft.) have been in service for
15 years. Electricity cost is well below neighbor who has standard heat pump
and smaller home.
Also, geo's pre-heat hot water so cost for hot H2O is down.