Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to get a doorknob apart

On 2/4/2009 6:25 AM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

Does it have any brand names? Perhaps you can take some
pictures, and upload to a free hosting site, so we can see?
At this point, I'm not sure what you're working on.

No manufacturer's name, no markings at all (except "PATD SEE WRAPPER"
and "M45" stamped on the lock body), and no digicam here. I'll try to
describe it.

All exposed metal is lacquered brass. Hollow knobs, fairly heavy-gauge
sheet metal. Knobs and escutcheons both have two concentric stepped
rings stamped on them. Beneath the one removable escutcheon is an
underplate screwed to the lock body with two screws. The door latch
slides into the side of the lock body, engaging the two clips that pull
in the latch.

It's a very common style made, I'm guessing, from the 1930s to the 50s.
The place I bought them (Ohmega Salvage in Berkeley) had a whole drawer
full of them.

At this point my only problem is how to get the remaining knob off the
body. Then I can clean both knobs and escutcheons.

--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it
upgrades. As long as there is hardware and software out there that

- lifted from sci.electronics.repair