Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A little snow had began to fall....

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 14:27:24 +0000, Mike Clarke wrote:

I doubt if any schools could cope with a few hundred parents trying to
phone in for information just before starting time.

True but all schools *must* have a means of contacting all
parent/guardians of their pupils. All schools have phones, one person
making calls would take a long time to work through 1,000 pupils contact
details thats why your don't do it that way. Our primary school has a very
effective cascade "call out" system involving a few members of staff and
volunteer parents. Should the school need to be closed for any reason (not
just bad weather) a few calls are placed and then those first people
called have a list of further people to call. It's very effective and very
fast and not rocket science.

The BBC local radio station also regulary broadcasts any closures. On
Monday this list was rather long, it might have been better to say which
schools where open!

The staff to pupil ratio would probably still be less than the desired
ratio but the school could still provide a better environment for kids
where both parents are out at work all day.

Agreed. I can remember going to school and having en-mass lessons in the
hall 'cause there wasn't enough teachers in for normal classes.

Maybe some decent planning will emerge from the chaos of the last couple
of days. It's not difficult to do a few "what ifs..." and come up with
plans of action.

--
Cheers
Dave.