Posted to alt.home.repair
Kevin Ricks Kevin Ricks is offline

Default Electrical receptacles

MiamiCuse wrote:
I am a dummy when it comes to electrical.

When you say 20 amps versus 15 amps sockets. I have two electrical panels,
one for each wing of the house. The circuit breakers are all 20A and above
and the wirings are all 12 gauge. Of course the big appliances have higher
amps and bigger wires. I just checked I only have one breaker that is 15A
which is a dedicated circuit to a single outlet in a hallway - which is
strange...

Here is a picture of Panel A:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...pub/PANELA.jpg

and Panel B:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...pub/PANELB.jpg

Does this mean I can use 20A receptacles?

Should I change out the lone 15A circuit breaker?

A 20 Amp outlet has the extra horizontal slot. -|| and will accept
either the standard plug || or the 20A plug -| . You can install these
outlet if you want but not needed in most residential applications. Some
older AC/heater units or shop equipment may have 20A plugs but kinda
rare.

On 20A circuits you can use either the 15A or 20A outlets.
You should not install the 20A outlets on a 15A circuit.

If your hallway circuit has 12ga wire then you can change the breaker to
20A if you want or leave it. If 14ga then it must remain 15A.

An outlet does not have to be 20A to be better quality. You can get good
and/or commercial grade 15A outlets.
Kevin