Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default Can soldering destroy pipe dope and teflon tapes?

Ernie Willson wrote:
I don't know if it is still true, but it used to be that Teflon vapor
was highly poisonous. This may no longer be true...I just don't know.
I'd really think twice about heating Teflon tape up to a temperature
that melts solder.

Fumes from pyrolyzed Teflon are dangerous to humans as they can cause
"polymer fume fever" or flu like symptoms which go away with time.
Birds like canaries are very susceptible because of their high
respiration requirements and can succumb to fumes from burnt Teflon fry
pans. Teflon does not degrade much below 400 deg. F so it should be OK
to solder a short distance away if solder joint is not overheated.