Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default UPS battery replacement schedule

Warren Post wrote in
.com:

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 21:07:47 -0500, Jamie wrote:

Warren Post wrote:
I just replaced the battery in my UPS, and notice that the old one was
swollen and hard to remove. Searching this NG and elsewhere on the net,
I see this means that the battery had reached the end of its life some
time ago and should have been replaced sooner. Okay, replacing the
battery when it reaches the end of its life cycle instead of waiting
until it obviously fails is fine by me.

So how do I know when to replace a UPS battery? This particular UPS has
no self test feature and no com port with which to communicate with the
computer, and I don't want to toss perfectly working equipment into the
landfill just because it lacks bells and whistles to make my life a
little easier.

A good test would be to pull the AC plug!

Well, I'm seeking a way to identify when a battery needs to be replaced
*before* it fails the pull-the-plug test. By the time it reaches that
point, the battery has badly overheated and swollen. Surely I need to
have replaced the battery before that.

IMO,a weak battery will fail a pull-the-plug test(under load) well before
the batteries swell or crack open.

It just will not have a long run time.

--
Jim Yanik