Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob La Londe Bob La Londe is offline

Default Tool path simulation?

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
On 2009-02-02, steamer wrote:
--Looking for a free or cheap download for a program that will
generate a tool path simulation from G-code. Anyone got a link to
something
without an odious price tag or EULA?

You mean a simulation on the screen? EMC2 will do that, along
with actually controlling a machine. But you don't need the machine
control part active to do the simulation.

The price is certainly right -- free. And the license is the
GPL.

The only thing which you may not like is that it runs in linux
(actually, it comes packaged in linux, so you don't have to get that
separately, and it is available for download as the BDI (Brain Dead
Install) which you simply burn on a CD-ROM, and then stick it in an old
PC of whatever speed you want where you are willing to say goodbye (or
"good riddance" :-) to the Windows which was on it.

Does not require the removal of Windows. The one I downloaed partitioned
and insalled next to windows, and at boot time i can select which OS to boot
to. For very simple stuff I still use Mach 3.