Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default House Builders Bible

Painters10 wrote:
We're trying to plan out and price up an extension and as a starter
for ten I've been looking through "The House Builders Bible" by Mark
Brinkley. It's a good read if for no other reason but the little
rants he has.
I have a sixth edition so I realise the cost tables might be a bit
wrong, but making allowances for inflation should at least help a bit.

At least that's what I thought. I calculated some costs and then got
a builder in to quote. There are some unknowns at the moment but the
builder came out over double the price I'd calculated. Even allowing
for the inflation and the builders margin it still seemed waaaay out.
So I wondered if the tables etc aren't really applicable to
extensions.

I see that the seventh edition has a chapter on Extensions. Has
anyone used either edition to help cost up an extension? Is it worth
getting the seventh edition solely for the chapter on extensions?
I am looking to manage the build myself doing some of the work myself,
and pulling in tradesmen direct when needed.

Thanks
Painters10

Work out the square meterage of the footprint (not the floor area) IE, the
length from outside wall to outside wall and times it by 1000 for a rough
estimate for extensions, then add on any drains, manholes etc that may need
replacing / re-routing.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008