Posted to uk.d-i-y
RobertL RobertL is offline

Default Loft insulation: things to avoid?

On Feb 3, 2:04*pm, "george (dicegeorge)" wrote:
...... * then we decided to pull down the ceiling and lower it

creating bigger space for Kingspan. *Havign sone that and examined the
roof thus exposed we decided to have it reslated as well.

Robert

I'm thinking of leaving a ceiling as it is
then sticking kingspan underneath it
(with the vapour barrier downwards)
then a layer of plasterboard under that..

much less messy than removing an exisitng ceiling
can't see why not?

Sounds OK to me, we had originally planned to do that. Part fo the
reasoning was to conserve the old ceiling for posterity. However...

our decision to pull it down for us was based on a mixture of
reasons. First, it would reduce the height of the ceiling a little
more if we left the old ceiling up (by 50mm) and it was low already.
Second, we needed the void to be debris-free so rentokil could spray
it for woodworm, third: part of it was going to be damaged anyway when
a chimney breast was removed. Finally: When I made an inspection hole
I found it was full of debris in the void ; it seems that when the
slates has been replaced in the 1960s the builders had simply dumpoed
the old slates and bits of cement onto the top of the ceiling! So
for us, we just thought, oh what the hell, let's just pull it down.
It took me about 2 hours to pull down (onto plastic sheets) and my
wife about 2 hours to bag it up and take to the dump.

What an amazing amount of dust!!!!

Robert