Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael Dobony Michael Dobony is offline

Default Can soldering destroy pipe dope and teflon tapes?

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 22:20:36 -0800, David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 2/2/2009 7:53 PM MiamiCuse spake thus:

I have used a brass male adaptor with one threaded end and one socket end.
I used pipe dope and teflon tape to thread into each port, then I plan to
solder the other end to copper pipes.

One question, a little off your topic: why use both teflon tape and pipe
dope? Seems like teflon alone ought to be good enough.

They do NOT work together. Use one or the other. I personally prefer the
tape over the dope. Unless you are using the non-drying teflon dope, the
dope tends to harden and crack and leak and is a nightmare to pull apart
later if needed.