Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] woger151@jqpx37.cotse.net is offline

Default How fill rough edges around light switch?

On Feb 2, 6:37*pm, "EXT" wrote:
wrote:
A couple of light switches in my house have visible rough edges in the
wall around one or more sides of the switch cover.

What's a good way of covering those up? *Someone I know suggested
caulk, but when I imagine the result it doesn't look too good.

One switch is in drywall, the other plaster.

TIA,

You don't say what the rough edges actually are. They could be a number of
things. If the hole is oversize and the cover plate doesn't actually cover
the hole leaving a visible gap, you can fill it. One problem many people

That's the problem: hole is slightly oversized.

find is that drywall compound and/or spackle doesn't like to stick to the
raw gypsum edges and just falls off. I have found that if you vacuum it dust
free then dab some latex paint on the raw unpapered edges of the drywall,
once the paint is dry, the compound and/or spackle will stick better and
allow you to fill the gap in a better manner. If the compound falls through
the hole, add a stick, popsickle stick or suitable small piece of wood tied
to some string and shoved in back of the hole will stop the filler from
pushing through, hold the string untill it stays in place or tie the end of
the string to something solid for an hour or so.