Posted to alt.home.repair
Ernie Willson Ernie Willson is offline

Default Can soldering destroy pipe dope and teflon tapes?

I don't know if it is still true, but it used to be that Teflon vapor
was highly poisonous. This may no longer be true...I just don't know.
I'd really think twice about heating Teflon tape up to a temperature
that melts solder.

EJ in NJ

MiamiCuse wrote:
I have a all brass shower valve that has four threaded ports.

I have used a brass male adaptor with one threaded end and one socket end.
I used pipe dope and teflon tape to thread into each port, then I plan to
solder the other end to copper pipes.

The male adaptor is only about 2" long. If I solder one end to a copper
pipe, I will have to heat up that fitting, and the adaptor being so short,
the high heat will be transfer to the other end and I wonder if it will mess
up the pipe dope and teflon tape...and may cause it to leak?

Is this concern valid?

Thanks,

MC