Posted to uk.d-i-y
RobertL RobertL is offline

Default Loft insulation: things to avoid?

On Jan 30, 11:56*am, Mike Barnes wrote:
I had a CERT (Carbon Emission Reduction Target scheme) assessment the
other day.

There are three lofts that need extra insulation. One is fully boarded.
One has a few boards lying around on top of the joists to make it easier
to walk around. One is almost (but not quite) impossible to access,
being under a shallow roof over a single-storey extension.

The agent pointedly asked me if it was OK to roll out insulation over
the boards, and to blow insulation into the tight space. When I asked
why I wouldn't want that, he replied vaguely that some people wouldn't
be happy with it, but wouldn't explain why not.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't have roll insulation over the
boards, and blown insulation where roll insulation would be impossible
to put in place?

We had a similar problem with our victorian house there was a 100mm
gap between slates and lath+plaster ceiling. Blowing in fibres leaves
no air gap surely, also, fibre is not as good an insulator as Kinspan/
Celotex and if the space is limited it might be better to use one of
those.

First we decided to 'post' 50mm kingspan slabs in there leaving a 50mm
gap above them. then we decided to pull down the ceiling and lower it
creating bigger space for Kingspan. Havign sone that and examined the
roof thus exposed we decided to have it reslated as well.

Robert