Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin[_2_] Bob Minchin[_2_] is offline

Default Skirting boards

wrote:
I'm fitting new softwood skirting boards. I plan to use Colron wood
dye and a coat(s) of Ronseal Diamond varnish over that.
Do I need to use knotting on the bare boards first?

Unless you are using a very dark dye, the knotting will show through.
Any knot resin will eventually bleed through the varnish and dry
yellow/amber. Wait till it is dry and powery and scrape off and
re-varnish. This might not happen for some years.
Ideally use knot free runs in the most visible places and cut out as
many knots as possible in the short runs.

Bob