Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Electrical power in non-120-volt places

David Nebenzahl wrote:

The question from the person in Peru about wiring for 230 volts raises a
question: in places that use 230/240 volts for household current (i.e.,
most of the world), how is that power brought into the house?

Here, we
have 2 "legs" of 120 volts each (two hots and a neutral) of opposite
phases, so that you can either tap 120 from either leg or 240 between them.

They aren't "opposite phases", they are opposite polarity as they are
the center tapped (center is neutral) output of a single phase
distribution transformer.

Is 230/240 brought in the same way so that you can get 480 volts
(yikes!)? Or is it just one single circuit?

I'm pretty sure in most locations for residences it isn't brought in in
such a way as to provide a 480V option. Once you get into commercial
type locations with or without three phase it could be most anything.

--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it
upgrades. As long as there is hardware and software out there that

The sad reality is that despite this type of propaganda, Vista works
just fine. In the old days people bashed Windows for legitimate
failings, but in recent years since those failing no longer exist, they
have had to resort to baseless lies.