Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default How fill rough edges around light switch?

"metspitzer" wrote in message
On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 13:08:32 -0500, "

A couple of light switches in my house have visible rough edges in the
wall around one or more sides of the switch cover.

What's a good way of covering those up? Someone I know suggested
caulk, but when I imagine the result it doesn't look too good.

One switch is in drywall, the other plaster.

TIA,

I assume that you mean the hole in the wall extends beyond the edge
of the switch plate....just pack in some spackle, let it ooze behind
the back of the opening a tad for traction and mold it a little to keep
it off the switch. Some use joint compound,
but I've never tried it. You can do it in two steps if you have trouble
getting the front edge smooth.

They also make larger switch plates that will cover.

True but SWMBO will never allow a couple of covers that don't match EXACTLY
which means replacing them ALL ..Much cheaper to patch a couple of
boxes....LOL....