Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ecnerwal[_2_] Ecnerwal[_2_] is offline

Default Portable lathe stand.

In article ,
"Ted" wrote:

I am getting ready to buy a new lathe and am thinking about making the stand
that is in shopnotes issue 10. My only problem is that I have a one car
garage and have to do most of my work outside. I need a stand that is
portable.

haven't got shopnotes handy, but any of the usual methods work, so long
as you use wheels that will take the load. Best to use one of the
variants that has the load off the wheels when working.

Depending what you have, and how heavy:

Set up so it can be moved by a pallet jack - of course, you have to get
a pallet jack, but you can set other things up for moving with the same
pallet jack, and a pallet jack will pick up a ton or two.

Wheels at one end that are off the ground (just) when set level. Handles
(might be removable) on opposite end so you can "wheelbarrow" it -
limited weight you can pick up is a factor.

Flip-under casters - each end has a jacking point and a set of casters
mounted on a hinged board - flipped under the wheels are on the ground.
Flipped out the legs set on the ground and the wheels point to the sky.
Jack has to be able to get in without getting in the way of the wheel
board.

One I have not seen that should work - casters on levers (short side) -
long side long enough that you can set the casters down and raise the
leg up; with a method to pin the lever up while moving.

Arrangements with hinges, casters and screws to jack the casters down to
the ground - many ways to work - can use a ratchet rather than having to
provide a handle.

Fancier methods involving cams - buy rather than build for most of us.

Be very wary of heavy lathe+stand and sloping driveway - when a heavy
load on wheels decides to go downhill, it's going to go downhill... at
least until it falls over and breaks.