Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John John is offline

Default Portable lathe stand.

In message , Ted
writes
I am getting ready to buy a new lathe and am thinking about making the
stand that is in shopnotes issue 10. My only problem is that I have a
one car garage and have to do most of my work outside. I need a stand
that is portable.

Does anyone have any suggestions. I figure that I will need to use some
sandbags for weight for the stability.

Thanks
Ted

Not seen the shopnotes you mention but..

My lathe is on wheels 4 at each end providing a platform ( Think
skateboard). The wheels are all revolving rather than fixed, and of
Nylon NOT Rubber which compresses under standing weight. On the shelf I
have 2 bench grinders and between the wheels on another shelf is more
equipment that is heavy. The whole thing moves with little effort, and
as each wheel has its own locking brake that also stops rotation its
going nowhere and I usually only lock 1 wheel each end.

Disadvantage or advantage depending on your height. These wheels add 3
inches to height and the shelf they are attached to another inch so you
get 4 inches of height. In my case I have an additional 3 inches of
support to get the lathe at the height comfortable for me. By using
Steel U channel idea, with wheels attached to brackets attached to the
top edge of the U , you can effectively lower the height of your
assembly to near ground level
--
John