Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default how to fit a close coupled wc so it doen't leak

tonyjeffs wrote:
My technique is rubbish.
Assemble - fit - test - mop up the mess
Reassemble - fit -test - mop upthe mess
Repeat until luck improves.

I've just had the same lack of succes on the new under stairs wc that
I've built. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Maybe its that spongy
big coupling washer - or maybe it's the seal between the flush
assembly and the ceramic cistern. I'll go back and check when i've
finished sulking.

Close coupled WC's leak in one of two places. The joint between the syphon
and the cisterm or the joint between the cistern & the bowl.

Fit the syphon to the cistern with a liberal application of LSX. Ignore any
idiot instructions such as 'sealant is not necessary'. It is.

Fix the bowl to the floor, but don't tighten up the fixings holding the
cistern to the wall untill you have done up the nuts & washers holding
cistern to bowl. If leak persists, remove cistern & apply liberal amount of
Plumbers Mait around donut washer.

I put a smear of silicone around the nuts and washers thinking it
might help. Perhaps i shouldn't.
Could anyone give me pedantic step by step instructions please?

And ditto the small sink waste. Can't do it first time. Plughole,
waste/connection to trap. ***** slight drip from that too :-(

LSX is your friend. But bear in mind waste systems need to be perfectly
lined up to seal.

Plumbing aparatus is by & large designed by morons IME.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk