Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Kool mist vapors?

Yep, Ed, you knew exactly what I was referring to (not surprising). I would
consider watching those HSM operations to be great entertainment, and I'd
probably be saying.. I gotta see that again, often.
I'd expect to be a bit entranced, like watching/staring into a campfire.

There was a recent discussion about balancing, that I read and saved, but
much of it was over my head. If I encounter a specific situation where I
need help, RCM would definitely be the place to get help.

The type of folks in general I referred to, are the types that insist that
dipping hot HSS while grinding it is the only reasonable way to do it, not
for any specific reason, just because they believe it.
Heat rises, a fan will cool a room, cold is getting into their houses,
all-season tires, multi-viscosity oils know what the weather is like, etc.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
I've seen a couple of HSM High Speed Machining websites (not home shop
metalworker/machinist), and the speeds were up in the range of, or even
higher than high speed production wood routing.

It's amazing to me that heavy duty spindles can be so precisely balanced
and made to such close tolerances to operate in those speed ranges, and
that the machines are responsive enough to move that fast in any position
with very high and repeatable accuracy.

Yeah. I've seen some turn at 50,000 rpm, and I'm not talking about dental
drills. These things were turning special shell mills with 50 hp, tearing
into aircraft wing skins and throwing enough chips to bury a man in about
a minute. That's not an exageration.

There are a couple of people here who really know about balancing, in a
serious, professional way. If you ever want to know about it you'll get
some good answers here.

Think what you like, Ed, and it's nice to be optimistic, but most times
that I've assumed that folks have the capability to understand/comprehend
or accept explanations, the results have generally been disappointing.

Ha! Well, I wrote over 350 articles for several metalworking magazines,
with circulation of 80,000 - 100,000, and I always felt that if 100 of
them found it interesting or useful, I should be happy. g

I believe that there are many more folks than one would generally
imagine, that will respond positively to an explanation just out of
courtesy or just hoping to get off the subject sooner, while silently
dismissing everything that was said/offered.

I've found that for a lot of people, unless the topic was about their
favorite celebrity, sports team etc, they're more likely to be thinking..
uh-oh, knowlege/information, get that **** away from me.

Well, maybe we're all guilty of that sometimes. I don't let it bother me.
I quickly found out, when I started to write, that not everyone in
manufacturing read my articles or would have cared about the subjects,
anyway. That line of work is a lot more pleasant and less frustrating if
you just let the readers decide what they want and not try to push it on
them. I just tried to find out what mattered to people and focused on
that. Eventually, after 10 or so years of doing it, I had a good sense of
what they'd care about and I could introduce some things they didn't know
they'd be interested in until they saw it.

Now, writing ad copy is something else. I used to sweat bullets waiting
for the Readex scores on my ads, and I was ****ed if my ad wasn't the
"best-read" in a given issue. That line of work can tear your heart out.

--
Ed Huntress