Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default how to fit a close coupled wc so it doen't leak

In article
,
tonyjeffs wrote:
My technique is rubbish.
Assemble - fit - test - mop up the mess
Reassemble - fit -test - mop upthe mess
Repeat until luck improves.

I've just had the same lack of succes on the new under stairs wc that
I've built. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Maybe its that spongy
big coupling washer - or maybe it's the seal between the flush
assembly and the ceramic cistern. I'll go back and check when i've
finished sulking.

If the cistern is attached to the wall and the pan to the floor they have
to be pretty square for the seal to work - can you try assembling the two
before fixing them down and see if things line up properly? Old houses are
often miles out as regards things being square.

I put a smear of silicone around the nuts and washers thinking it
might help. Perhaps i shouldn't.

They don't proved a seal - just clamp the two items together.

Could anyone give me pedantic step by step instructions please?

And ditto the small sink waste. Can't do it first time. Plughole,
waste/connection to trap. ***** slight drip from that too :-(

Did you bed the waste into the sink with plumber's mate or similar?
Ceramic sinks near enough always need this as they aren't very accurately
made.

--
*If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.