Dave Mundt

Default Scarf joint or butt joint your choice on crown molding? - the winner is....scarf joint

Greetings and Salutations...

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 17:05:23 GMT, Bay Area Dave
wrote:

Majority rules! I was really surprised to see an author published in
Fine Homebuilding recommend a butt joint. That's the only reason I
asked here, because I thought maybe I'm missing something. I ONLY use
scarf joints on baseboard and like the way they turn out.

Thanks to all of you for voting!

dave

Well, while I am going to toss my vote in for the scarf
joint, as that is the "craftsman" way to do it, I can see why
the butt joint would be recommended these days. It gets back
to craftsmanship vs money. Scarf takes a few seconds longer
and time is money. There is an amazing amount of crappy
joinery that can be concealed with the new caulks, and, with
something that is going to be up near the ceiling, I believe
the general idea is "no one will see it anyway". This
cuts little ice with me, though, as *I* will know it is
a sloppy joint...and that is more important to me than
anything else. I think it is the same sort of attitude
that puts finely carved details on the BACKS of gargoyles
mounted on the heights of cathedrals, and, on the hidden
undersides of pews.
Regards
Dave Mundt