Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] clarkmagnuson@gmail.com is offline

Default Kool mist vapors?

I use Tap Magic for tapping, dribbled on the tap from the can.
I use Tap Magic Aluminum for tapping Aluminum, dribbled on the tap
from the can.
I use suffered cutting oil on boring bars, straight reamers, and
chamber reamers. I apply it with a tooth brush or squirt bottle.
For coolant when grinding, I use tap water, with some scum and a few
mosquito larvae.
I use Sulfured cutting oil on hack sawing or band sawing thick steel,
I apply it with a squirt bottle to the cut and to the blade.
I clean reamers, to get the chips off, with a vacuum and then with
motor oil mixed with gasoline on a tooth brush.
I suck the chips out of a hole I am reaming with a vacuum cleaner and
a brush. Never compressed air.
To get material with oil off, sometimes I use compressed air, but
outside the shop, and holding my breath to protect my sinuses.
If a gun barrel in the lathe must have compressed air in the chamber
being cut, then a vacuum hose must be over the muzzle. I don't want
oil in my breathing air or metal chips shot all over my shop.
To clean the lathe and mill I use a shop vac, never compressed air.
Good thing the previous lathe owner only did Bronze bushings, as his
compressed air got chips deep inside the machine.
To clean metal for Dykem steel blue or for double sided sticky tape
for machining sheet metal, I use alcohol or liquid detergent and water
rinse, like Simple Green. I never use Lacquer thinner for cleaning. I
don't want to be around that stuff.
To cut threads on the lathe, bore holes on the lathe, drilling on the
drill press, milling steel, drilling steel on the mill, I use Cool
Mist mixed 10:1 or 20:1 with water, in a big plant spraying plastic
bottle
Cool mist smells good to me.
The only thing wrong with it is that it looks like a bottle of Simple
Green, and if the Simple Green gets substituted for Cool mist, I get a
lousy cut, a dull tool, and rust on the the tooling.

Why am I not using cutting oil instead of Cool Mist?
Because when cutting oil gets thrown on me or the wall on external
cutting, the smell and the stain don't go away.