Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus13011 Ignoramus13011 is offline

Default Kool mist vapors?

On 2009-02-01, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 12:57:48 -0600, Ignoramus13011

On 2009-02-01, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 08:37:51 -0600, Ignoramus13011
wrote:

In high-volume production today, in the car industry supply chain and in the
making of many consumer products, the hot topics are dry- and near-dry
machining, where tools cutting at 4,000 sfm in hardened steel are throwing
red-hot chips, making noise like a machine gun, and the workpieces are
coming out cool.

So, Ed, what I do not understand is how does the cutting tool;, under
these conditions, managed to stay cool enough to retain cutting
qualities.

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunneras...22823685400578

1.25" 4130 chromolly, RC 48

Flood with oil, photo is single pass cutting depth, 2.5" HSS corn cob
cutter

So, this is with flooding, just a different coolant substance?

Ayup. I prefer oil over most types of toilet water, but then I have no
disposal problems, living in the middle of the oil fields as I do.

Which tangentially brings up a question, how do you dispose of soluble
oil coolant legally.